Social work - Educare & School Assistant
Duration of stay: at least 4 weeks, up to 3 months possible
Start of project: every Monday
Location: Cape Town
Our partner schools are located in settlements or townships which are happy about every kind of support. In most cases the classes are very big and can comprise up to 60 children. Depending on the project you will assist and teach children aged 1-16 years and support the teachers on site. Many projects assist the classes in English and in some of them the children already have a basic vocabulary.
The youngest in the school enjoy new games and appreciate you bringing a lot of time and devotion and creating a great day for them. Some schools have computers and it is possible to develop a class about computer usage. Often times there are sports activities after class which you will accompany and bring in new ideas to get the children off the streets.
- Teaching lessons to children in the older groups (colours, letters, shapes, art, etc.) as well as teaching English through play and vocabulary stimulation.
- Stimulating smaller children in the younger groups with developmental toys, touch and by speaking English to them. We believe that speaking English to the children will assist them as they get older as English is compulsory in later education. The earlier they learn, the more they will benefit.
- Educating children in life lessons such as HIV, drugs etc.
- Assisting with the feeding programs
- Supervising children at all times
- Helping with events and fundraising
- Administration, lesson plan preparation, developmental activities, research, etc. This is mostly done after project hours in preparation for upcoming days. You may be required to do some of these tasks in your free time.
- Helping with the baby room – changing diapers, feeding babies, assisting with naptime
- Assisting in the vegetable garden where we grow fresh produce for their meals
- Helping with washing up after meals, cleaning classrooms, washing bedding and toys
- Maintaining a safe and hygienic environment for the children at all times
Accommodation: As a volunteer, you will stay at one of our 2 volunteer houses. Both are a few minutes walk from each other and located about a 5 minutes walk from the beachfront. Most rooms sleep 4-6 volunteers and are co-ed. Some rooms have en-suite bathrooms and some share a central bathroom in the house. Volunteer houses are safe and secure, with common lounge areas and kitchen facilities. Double and private rooms are available upon request.
Breakfast: Self-serve including bread, cereals, milk, yogurt, coffee/tea, and spreads Dinner: A variety of hot dishes will be provided as well as salad/vegetables/starches. Twice a week there will be a traditional South-African meal such as a braai or potije. *Complimentary tea and coffee are always available. Vegetarian and gluten/dairy-free options available.